Know the Different Types of Business IT Support Services
What types of businesses need IT support?
The short answer is: every kind.
Whether you are a large organization or a small family-owned business, it’s not possible to function without the right technology.
From accepting and processing orders and communicating with customers to optimize production and financial record-keeping, almost every aspect of your business now relies on technology. IT is also empowering businesses to cut down costs, streamline production, and optimize their finances with just a few clicks. It has become the bedrock of virtually every business.
With the rise of managed IT services, even small businesses can lay their hands on the latest technology. You can quickly outsource a segment or all of your tech requirements to a company specializing in business IT support.
Let’s find out a bit more about various business IT support services.
1. What Types of IT Support Models Are Available?
Whether you are looking for an IT Support Services in Genève or anywhere else in the world, you are likely to encounter two models, including managed services and on-demand or T&M (time and materials). Each service model comes with benefits and drawbacks of its own.
- Managed Service: A managed service model provides a comprehensive range of IT services in a customized or standard package. The purpose of this model is to provide proactive maintenance and support to your IT infrastructure.
The preventive care and service make this a cost-effective business IT support model, especially in the long run. You have to pay a fixed monthly, quarterly, or annual fee irrespective of the number of maintenance and repair issues. Problems rarely occur as both, Manage Service Provider (MSP) and the business owner lose money if anything goes wrong.
- On-Demand or T&M Models: As the name suggests, this model consists of reactive maintenance. The outside IT specialist will address the issues (remotely or on-site) as and when they arise. You will have to pay for the time and materials required to resolve the issue.
The business IT support specialist won’t take responsibility for keeping your IT infrastructure up and running. So, this model is suitable for organizations that have an in-house IT team but need help from IT specialists occasionally. However, if the cycle of breakdown and fixing continues, it can hurt your business efficiency in the long term.
2. What Types of IT Support Services Are Available?
You can get any of the following services based on managed services or on-demand IT support model.
- Cloud Hosting: Cloud hosting involves moving your IT infrastructure to the cloud. It is one of the cloud computing services. Cloud computing is one of the fastest-growing technologies today. The worldwide public cloud services market is projected to reach $331.2 billion in 2022 from $182.4 billion in 2018.
You can host your services, data, and applications on the cloud. It is an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). You can access this virtual hardware, network, and storage facilities from anywhere and anytime as long as you have an internet connection. You can scale your cloud hosting needs up or down anytime.
- Technology Consulting: Technology consulting refers to offering advice and guidance to help businesses transform the way they use technology. The service provider will analyze your business processes to determine the scope for implementing various technologies. The primary goal of these services is to unlock the potential of new business opportunities through strategic planning and application of technology.
- IT Security Consulting: Security consulting includes offering guidance and support for keeping your computers, networks, software, data, and information systems safe from cyber-attacks and unauthorized access. The consultant will set up firewalls, antivirus systems, network security systems, and user guidelines.
They will also help you plan, research, and design robust security architectures. With cyber-attacks and data breaches increasing by the day, it is necessary to have IT security experts taking care of your tech needs.
- Cloud Migration: Cloud migration is the process of moving your on-site data and business applications to the cloud or moving them from one cloud service provider to the other. Cloud can offer several benefits such as increased flexibility, real-time 24/7 access, reduced operating costs, and pay-per-use model.
However, the migration process requires evaluating performance and security elements, selecting the right cloud provider, training your employees for the change, and calculating the costs. That’s why having a business IT support specialist helps.
- Data Center Migration: It is the process of transferring your business applications and data from an existing data center to a new one. As this is a comprehensive process, it requires systematic planning, careful evaluation, and a secure migration environment. One small mistake can result in irrecoverable data loss. With expert guidance, however, the process becomes more manageable and reliable.
- Server Migration: Server migration is the process of moving your business applications and data from one server to another. You may need to change your server for various reasons, including security risk, system upgrades, or rising hosting costs. Server migration also requires planning to prevent data loss. IT experts can ensure proper data backup and keep the data intact to carry out the server migration smoothly.
- Network Setup: Network setup is the process of setting up a network of computers, printers, other hardware, and the required software. It involves various tasks such as router configuration, hosting, as well as software and firewall installation. The IT specialist will help you plan and configure the entire network, allowing you to make the best use of your existing equipment and resources.
- Database Management: Database management comprises defining, manipulating, retrieving, and managing your business data in a database. You need to manipulate the data format, field names, record structure, and file structure. Unless you have skilled in-house IT experts, it is better to hire outside experts to ensure your data remains intact and secure. They often know various database-related programming languages such as MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, dBASE, and FoxPro.
- Comprehensive IT Outsourcing: As the name suggests, this involves managing all of the technical processes and activities related to your business. The IT support specialist will usually provide you with proactive and scalable technology solutions. Most business owners opt for this service as it allows you to focus on your core business activities.
- Repair and Maintenance: You can also get on-demand hardware repair and maintenance services. You may need to replace old and out-of-order hardware with the new one to keep your business running smoothly. Plus, proactive maintenance can also increase the life of your hardware. Most service providers will help repair computers, laptops, on-site servers, routers, and any other hardware in your office.
Outsourcing your technology needs to business IT support specialist will help you stay a step ahead of your competitors. With your IT needs taking care of by the experts, you can single-mindedly focus on growing your business. Hopefully, this short round-up of the various services you can procure from an IT support specialist will help you make an informed decision. So, are you ready to find a managed IT service provider for your business? Tell us more about your IT outsourcing strategy in the comments section.